Friday, January 05, 2007

The article that made me (in)famous

Arts students should shape up or ship out
By Ratna Tiwary

December 02, 2006

THERE is constant discussion on campus about why graduates from the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences are unable to land jobs easily.

I read in the papers some months back about a woman lamenting her jobless fate as an arts honours graduate despite having submitted more than 2,000 applications.

As a final-year arts student, having already had many good offers, I am beginning to think that it's more about the lack of effort put in by undergraduates in looking for a job, or how they go about planning it.


I've done two internships while studying, both of which I found after sending my resume to several companies.

My friends asked why I needed to intern twice, and my answer was simple: Experience helps.

When I began applying for jobs in my last semester, they thought I was too kiasu, but I had the last laugh after landing a job.

On the one hand, I agree that many globally-ranked universities have excellent career placement programmes, something local universities are still trying to establish by widening and strengthening alumni relations - in the hope that alumni members will offer job opportunities to new graduates.

But how much longer will our students be spoon-fed everything?

The job market is expanding, but it seems that nothing is good enough for our fresh graduates, least of all arts graduates who expect reserved seats in the civil service.

I spoke to an assistant dean at the National University of Singapore for an interview I was conducting for the faculty newsletter last year, and his comments stayed with me.

He said that most arts graduates begin job hunting only after graduation, when the good positions have generally been taken by foreign-educated graduates or more proactive students.

The other problem is, few graduates bother dressing up for interviews, with many turning up in jeans or even shorts. Some students just do not bother, assuming their degree will 'take them places'.

Such an attitude not only reflects badly on them, but eventually, on the faculty and university as well. Which company would want to hire someone with no grooming skills?

Foreign students turn up for career talks and seminars in suits and ties; local students go in casual wear. For all the good intentions the alumni may have of hiring local students, can we blame them for taking on 'foreign talent'?

In mixed faculty classes, the ones who seldom complete assignments are generally arts students.

Unfortunately, these habits have carried over into working life for some students, and this minority has created an image of arts grads that others have to live down.

During an interview with a foreign publishing company, my interviewer was surprised to learn that I consciously chose to join the faculty, and not because I could not get into Law or Medicine.

I know of an arts undergrad who is pursuing her degree with less than half-hearted interest, doing a degree with the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants on the side, and a dance diploma as a backup. According to her, she's doing this merely to be known as an NUS grad.

These students are a minority, but that doesn't mean they can be ignored.

The university ought to assess the capabilities of its students and their aptitude for the arts field before granting them admittance.

There are already interview procedures in place for borderline students wishing to enter the faculty; and although I can see logistical difficulties, I think this procedure should be extended to all students applying for the faculty.

I take pride in my degree, and I know that I have worked for it. It was a choice I made to pursue a career in the arts field.

How many of my fellow final-year university mates can say as much?

No comments: