Friday, September 24, 2004

The faithful wife

Since im a literature-ish mood today. Lemme post another poem, this one i got for my A' level prelim literature paper, Poetry Appriciation and Criticism or something... oh, Practical Criticism. Basically, critisising an unseen poem. I was sooo in love with the pome on my first reading of it that i read and reread it repeatedly, anyway, i did well for that question in the end. i read this to my then BF - Mizra and he said it sounds like me. he must've been in a particularly sweet mood when he said that, but i agree. this poem is almost like i wrote it! thats a gramatically wrong sentence but well!
Anyway, this poem describes my attitude towards men and relationships and love! what i've experienced so far with the various shits (men) in my life... see if u get the gist of it...

~~~

The faithful wife:
---------------
But if I were to have a lover, it would be someone
who could take nothing from you. I would, in conscience,
not dishonor you. He and I would eat at Howard Johnson's

which you enjoy and I do not enjoy. With his I would go
fishing because it is not your sport. He would wear blue
which is your worst color; he would have none of your virtues.

Not strong, not proud, not just, not provident, my lover
would blame me for his heart's distress, which you would never
think to do. He and I would drink too much and weep together

and I would bruise his face as I would not bruise your face
even in my dreams. Yes I would dance with him, but to a music
you and I would never choose to hear, and in a place

where you and I would never wish to be. He and I would speak
Spanish, which is not your tongue, and we would take
long walks in fields of burdock, to which you are allergic.

We would make love only in the morning. It would be
altogether different. I would know him with my other body,
the one that you have never asked to see.
                           

                                                                        - Barbara L. Greenberg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dunno if u see the hopes and dreams, disappointments and deep abiding love in the poem... maybe its jus me... well.. haf an amazing day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was searching for this poen for my Lit class and I think I must have missed the point entirely. I thought it was of a woman basically saying "screw you" to her current husband by saying if I am going to be with another man he will be different, if not better than you. I don't know, I suck at poetry and interpretation of it.

Robb
http://fillthevoid.net

pRiNcEsS said...

I wanted to email u back, but couldnt find your email address. Well, i guess u see the male perspective of things.

"i would not in conscience dishonor you", i think that just about says it all. If she were to have an affair, it would be with someone who could not take anything from her husband. Even when it comes to having an affiar, this woman is still thinking about her husband!

"He would have none of your virtues... NOT strong, NOT proud..."

She mentions the negative virtues in relation to her imaginary lover, meaning her current husband IS strong and proud and provident and never blames her, etc... Even if he does, she loves him despite it all

I think im just going on and on... Good luck with lit class! Best Wishes,

~Ratna